As part of broad, global efforts to strengthen the response to education in emergencies and protracted crises, the Overseas Institute for Development (ODI) has been commissioned to lead analysis of the steps necessary to create a new “common platform” for education in emergencies (EiE) and protracted crises. In order to gather the country-level information that is so essential to this process, the Global Education Cluster and INEE are calling on country cluster teams and cluster partners to provide critical feedback.
The platform concept would include:
- A financing facility to improve funding for Education in Emergencies and,
- A coordination mechanism that connects government, humanitarian and development actors across all phases of an EiE response: from emergency through transition to development, contingency planning and preparedness.
As part of a global consultation planned from 19 January to 5 February, we encourage all country-level Education Cluster/EiE Working Groups to organize a special cluster meeting or to devote time during a planned cluster/WG meeting to provide feedback. You can use the consultation’s questions to guide your cluster/EiEWG discussion on the platform’s options. Following your country-level consultation, we encourage you to submit a written report on behalf of your country cluster/EiEWG to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an individual EiE practitioner, there are multiple ways to participate: online discussion forums, online feedback survey, a series of live webinars all in in INEE’s five working languages, and in-person events. Visit the INEE special webpage to read more.
The consultation is an important opportunity for actors working in the field of EiE to make recommendations to high-level policy makers to ensure better and more effective support and financing for EiE. ODI will incorporate the inputs from the global consultation process into a final paper detailing a framework for the Common Platform which will be presented at the World Humanitarian Summit in May. Your input into this process will help lead to a final document upon which governments, NGOs, and donors will agree as the way towards a strengthened response to education in emergencies and protracted crises.
- EiEPC Global Consultation Facilitator’s Guide (pdf)
- EiEPC Global Consultation Options Overview and Key Questions (pdf)
- EiEPC: Summary note on the proposition and options - Overseas Development Institute